Sunday, July 8, 2007

allways seperate

I wish I had the spell check thing when I was in junior school .... that way my teachers would have thought i was a a potential contestant for the spelling bee . ;) A strange thing happened today - I was putting together a presentation; when the Mr Smart (or should I say Miss Smart - for some reason I allways associated good spelling as a feminine quality (maybe becoz I've seen girls spell better than guys ))! ) Spell Check kept interrupting me .Yet again , I had made an error in spelling. This happens to be a word my teacher made me write God know how many times as a punishment for not spelling it correctly then .. the word is separate ( & the way i spell it is seperate ) .. but that did not correct my thinking ! Actually , I disagreed then & I still disagree that I did not spell the word correctly .. we dont say ''sepaaarate '" we say "seperate " , to me "e" fits there better than an "a" . Another word which i often make a mistake in is allways ( i mean i spell it as "all"ways & not "al"ways ) .. in fact i allways make a mistake with allways !! for the same reason .. it's all ways - why doesn;t it have a double l ?? it has to happen "all" the time right ?
Actually the whole post may sound juvenile - this guy is some loser in spelling & so he is pulling out some vague reasons for all those mistakes he makes ! but thats not true - I believe I'm fairly good at spelling - you tell me a word & based on the sound - not on stupid rules , I can spell the word .. In that sense I like the american way of spelling things - spell it as they sound ( color as against colour ) . As a mark of my disagreement I title my post with my version of the spelling . PS : You can comment on anything other than tell me why seperate & allways are spelt as separate and always.
& I dont use spell check ;)

2 comments:

Minerva said...

oh English is a very phunny language! - now why is very only very but berry not just bery?

you ought to listen to the names of some places and then see their spellings - if you first listen to how they are pronounced and then try finding them on map or some board -you are not going to reach anywhere is UK!!! :-)

Eye of Tiger said...

i can attest to above... every other name is spelled so differently from how they pronounce it... stupid leicester pronounces as Lester.. when they actually have a word like Lester..
But as for others.. actually i had and still have that prob with seperate/separate.. my first instinct takes me to seperate..